Skip to content
17 Shocking Facts About Newborn Babies You Must Know.
- Newborn babies do not have a knee cap, a crunchy bone does its job. Knee ligaments do not develop in newborns until 6 months of age.
- Babies born in May weigh 200 grams more than those born in other months.
- Babies cannot cry as soon as they are born and do not shed tears until they are three weeks old.
- At birth, babies have 300 bones, while adults have 206 bones. As they age, these bones adjust to each other.
- Eighty percent of babies are born with some special sign.
- Newborns hear as much as adults do. Similarly, the ability to see with the eyes is the same. However, the brain is not developed enough to analyze what is seen.
- Within a few weeks of birth, the baby can tell the difference between his mother and other people. However, the mother’s voice and smell can be recognized at birth.
- After a month, the babies start laughing.
- The record for the heaviest baby ever is held by an Italian child. Born in 1955, the baby weighed 22 pounds 8 ounces.
- At 6 months the baby’s weight doubles, it does not double at any other age.
- The way children communicate physically (bye-bye, clapping, showing up), then speaking in the same way.
- The signs of whether child will be right-handed or left-handed appear at an early age. If there are twins, 22 percent of children are more likely to be left-handed.
- At one year of age, a baby weighs three times as much.
- At one year of age, a child’s legs are half as small as those of an adult.
- Other than the baby’s eyes, other parts of the body grow.
- The baby sucks on the fingers while it is still in the womb.
- Indigenous people in Africa eat a food called yam (like sweet potato). That’s why it is believed that more twins will be born there.